If you have any comments or additions, please CLICK HERE to go to the Contact Us page
Links are listed below in the following groups:
- RAILWAY PHILATELY – mainly UK
- UK RAILWAYS which run RAILWAY LETTER SERVICES
- RAILWAY PHILATELY – Worldwide
- RAILWAYS & RAILWAY MUSEUMS
- PHILATELIC – General
Note: Each External link will open in its own new tab – to get back here just close that new tab.
1. RAILWAY PHILATELY – mainly UK
- Articles on Railway Themed Stamps for many countries
- IB RedGuy’s Railway Stamp Archive: A library of British & Irish railway company stamp images
- I.B RedGuy’s Fine Stamps: Specialist Dealer in Revenue stamps, also Railway Stamps, Cinderella Stamps, Telegraph Stamps, Savings Stamps, Local Post Stamps, Political Stamps, Overprints, Essays, Perfins, Documents, Poster Stamps, Duty and Fiscal Stamps
- Paula Cant Stamps Please mention the RPG when communicating
- Perfins on British railway company stamps An excellent listing (entitled Newspaper & Parcel Delivery Perfins) of all known perfins on British railway company stamps. Published by the Perfin Society (2019). Authors: Jeff Turnbull & Maurice Harp.
- Railway Thematic Stamps. A useful page managed by Horst Brix
- TPO & Seapost Society. Dedicated to collectors interested in Travelling Post Offices (TPO) both on Railways and on the High Seas (Seapost)
2. UK RAILWAYS which run RAILWAY LETTER SERVICES
Several railways in the UK retain their railway letter service. These include:
3. RAILWAY PHILATELY – Worldwide
- Australia and New Zealand Revenue and Railway Fee Stamps Catalogue This site is “exactly what it says on the tin”! If you want to know about Australian or New Zealand railway stamps, this site is a good place to start.
- Casey Jones Railroad Unit. Having over 200 members throughout the world, the Casey Jones Railroad Unit is the first (1950) of the American Topical Association Study Units, and, today, one of the largest. it covers cover everything rail-related on stamps – steam engines, diesel engines, rolling stock, rail bridges, streetcars, subways, trolleys, funiculars, cog railways, etc.
- German Railway Philately. The “Internationale Motivgruppe Eisenbahnwesen” e.V. was founded in 1963 and today has around 700 members in Europe and overseas countries. Members are interested primarily in stamps, cancellations and postal stationery which reflect the railway theme.
- Italian Railway-themed Stamps
- (The) Mobile Post Office Society A Study Group for United States Highway Post Offices (includes Railway Post Offices)
- Netherlands Railway Philately A detailed illustrated site by Hans Vink, showing all aspects of Dutch railway stamps (Ordinary Stamps about Railways in The Netherlands, Dutch Railway Letter and Parcel Stamps, Dutch Regional Stamps about Railways, Dutch Overseas Territory Stamps about Railways, Dutch Cinderellas about Railways, Dutch Postal Stationary about Railways Dutch, Railway Stamps: Cancellations, Dutch Postage Meter Cancellations about Railways, Dutch Railway Stamps: First Day Covers, Dutch Maximum Cards about Railways, and Dutch Railways on non-Dutch Stamps)
- (The US) Railway Mail Service Tells the story of the US Postal Service and how it was linked to the US Railways. Website of the Smithsonian National Postal Museum.
- (Canadian) Railway Post Office Study Group Web site of a group specialising in Canadian Railway Postmarks.
- (The US) Railway Post Office (RPO) Tells the story of the US Railway mail service. Website of The Historic Railpark.
- Norwegian Railway Philately Railway, Steamship & Carrier stamps of Norway
- Swiss railways and TPOs. Also includes links to Swiss railway cancellations
4. RAILWAYS & RAILWAY MUSEUMS
- Beamish Museum Has a fully working passenger-carrying tramway.
- History of Trolleys, Light Rails, Street Cars and Subways Web page giving lots of information about the history of Trolleys, Trams & Streetcars, Light Railways & Subways, and Trolley & Streetcar Museums.
- Irish Railway Stations Index An A to Z of Irish railway Stations with many illustrations. Each station has multiple images, each clickable to enlarge them.
- National Railway Museum
As well as the vast range of rolling stock and other equipment, the NRM holds a major stock of Railway Stamps in the Search Engine (the Research and Library section) in the Museum at York. Of course, they also have the magnificent Locomotion museum at Shildon (Co. Durham) as well.
- Night Mail Watch this 23 minute long (black & white) film about the Night Mail, filmed in 1936. It includes extracts from WH Auden’s poem The Night Mail, with music by Benjamin Britten. Very atmospheric!
- (The) Railway Magazine
- Travelling Post Office Mail Bag Drop Off and Pick Up youtube video of the Apparatus in action
5. PHILATELIC: General
- British Postmark Society. The British Postmark Society (BPS, founded in 1958) aims to promote and to co-ordinate the study and collection of British postal markings (particularly of the 20th and 21st centuries), and the means and mechanisms by which they are applied.
- British Thematic Association. The British Thematic Association (BTA) was founded in 1984 with the objective To promote, encourage and assist the development of Thematic Philately.
- Castleview Stamps. Edinburgh based company selling stamp supplies & accessories (albums, mounts, stock pages, tweezers etc), including Prinz, Stanley Gibbons, Compass, Lighthouse goods etc (also postcard, coin & banknote accessories). If they don’t have what you want they will try to track it down for you. Tel. 0131 2580461.
- (The) History of the Postmarks of the British Isles from 1840 to 1876. John Hendy (1909). Downloadable pdf file. Contains reference to early TPOs Large (approx. 6 Gb) – may take a while to download.
- Irish Philatelic Circle
- Post Mark Collectors Club (U.S. orientated)
- Postal History (David Shaw ) e-mail to: email@example.com
- Postal Mechanisation for Philatelists A detailed description of postal mechanisation through the years – very interesting. Plenty of illustrations. Some page are slow to load, but be patient – it’s worth it. Each View section has multiple pages; simply scroll down to access these further pages..
- Postal Museum Formerly known as the British Postal Museum & Archive.
- Postal Stationery Society Formed in 1992 to cater for collectors of postal stationery throughout the World, with the intention of furthering the study of postal stationery and developing its collecting into a more readily accepted branch of philately.
- Poster Stamp Collectors Club
- Postmarks and Cancellations An overview of Postmarks & Cancellations, hand-stamp devices, Date-stamp cancels, Killer cancels etc. Royal Philatelic Society London
- The Royal Philatelic Society London (RPS), the oldest philatelic society in the world, was established in 1869 as The Philatelic Society, London.
- Stamp Magazine
- Stanley Gibbons