Short Philatelic Articles of Interest to Members
A substantial collection of (mainly pre-1970) magazine articles forms part of our Library collection. So that these can potentially be used by members these items have recently been catalogued.
As a special service to Members any article can be scanned on request and provided gratis.
To use this service please use the Library Request Page for which a link is provided below (see ‘How can I Borrow Items?’)
Surplus Library Items for Sale to Members
As a result of our recent review of the RPG Library, we are now able to offer a number of surplus RPG Library Items for sale to RPG Members.
(Unsold items will subsequently be made available for sale to non-members.)
What is held in the RPG Library?
Over the years, the RPG Library amassed a large amount of railway philatelic material covering all aspects of RPG interest … and much more beside. RPG Librarian Dr. Iain Wells has recently reviewed all Library holdings and the RPG Library is now well-stocked with both books and magazines relevant to the varied collecting interests of our members. Topics covered are:
• Travelling Post Offices
• Railway Thematics
• Railway Letter Stamps (‘old-style’ & modern)
• Railway Parcel & Newspaper Stamps
• Railway Postmarks
• Railway Postcards
• Railway Ephemera (Railway Disaster Mail, Railway Air Services, Mail Services by Rail etc)
How can I borrow items of interest? (RPG Members only)
Members can view a full list of RPG Library material below, and make arrangements to borrow items of interest to them (see Borrowing Rules and Procedures further down):
Borrowing Rules & Other Procedures – RPG Members only
1. Upon sending a request to the RPG Librarian, books or documents may be borrowed from the RPG Library, but only by RPG members residing in the UK.
2. Books or documents so borrowed may be retained for a maximum of 28 days from receipt of the item(s) (unless otherwise agreed in advance with the RPG Librarian).
3. Books or documents so borrowed are the responsibility of the borrower whilst in their possession, and any damage or loss must be reimbursed to the Railway Philatelic Group.
4. Books or documents so borrowed can be photocopied, subject to Copyright Laws.
5. The borrower must pay the cost of returning borrowed books and obtain a receipt of posting. The borrower must also remit to the Librarian (in the form of UK postage stamps or otherwise by cheque) the cost of the outward post and packing.
6. Subject to Copyright Laws, photocopies of particular articles or pages from documents in the RPG Library are available to RPG members residing in the UK at the cost of 10p per page plus postage (but see Notes 1 & 2).
7. Subject to Copyright Laws, scans of particular articles or pages from documents in the RPG Library are available by email at no cost to all RPG members (but see Notes 1 & 2).
Work is in hand to create for sale a DVD/memory stick containing back issues of Railway Philately. When this is available, facilities at 6 and 7 above will be withdrawn in respect of copies of Railway Philately.
Facilities at 6 and 7 above are not available in respect of TPO & Seapost Journals. The TPO & Seapost Journals are available for sale from the TPO & Seapost Society on a fully searchable DVD. Members may purchase that DVD directly from TPO & Seapost Society. TPO & Seapost Society publications which relate to TPOs are sold to RPG members at the same rates as TPO & Seapost Society members pay (and vice versa), so be sure to identify yourself as an RPG member! CLICK HERE to go to the TPO & Seapost Society Journals DVD web page